So, I know Thanksgiving is in like two days, but as I’m sitting here thinking about the food I’m going to cook for the big day I had an idea.
What if I shared one of my cool family recipes and you could share one of your favorite Thanksgiving recipes with me? Maybe we’ll cook each others’ stuff, maybe not. But if nothing else, we could at least drool over food together. Who doesn’t like that?!
My recipe is my Grandma Tottie’s (same one that made the pie) Dressing. I made it last year and it was a giant hit in my Dad’s house.
12 slices of white bread, dried out in oven
3 tsp parsley flakes
4 green onions
2 stalks of sliced celery
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 batch of corn bread
2 large onions
2 tsp sage
Beer (I’m serious. This is the “secret ingredient,” if you will, and I don’t even drink.)
So what do you do with all these things?
1. Bake cornbread and dry out white bread in oven.
2. Soak in beer until moistened.
3.. Fry onions and celery in a small amount of Crisco slowly, until onions become transparent.
4. Crumble corn bread and white bread in a mixing bowl.
5. Add seasonings, beaten eggs, celery and onions. Mix well.
6. Add enough water or beer to make consistency of “gooey mud pies.” (Gotta love Grandmas!)
7. Bake at 325 until “done.” (Also gotta love!)
Seriously, this is so delicious. If you don’t have a dressing recipe yet, then Happy Thanksgiving to you! I’d love to hear your favorite recipes.